Area: 236,040 sq. km, (slightly smaller than Oregon, US and about the same size as the UK).
Location: Uganda is in East, the DRC lies
to the west and Kenya to the east, see map.
Capital City: Kampala
Population: Just over 30 million people live in Uganda
Language: English (official national language), Ganda or Luganda, Nilo-Saharan languages, Swahili,
Religion: Roman Catholic 33%, Protestant 33%, Muslim 16%, indigenous beliefs 18%.
Climate: The climate is tropical; generally rainy with two dry seasons (December to February, June to August).
Average daily temperatures rarely exceed 29 Celsius (84 F).
When to Go: June - August and December - February.
Currency: Uganda Shilling.
Interesting “Facts” about Uganda:
- About half the population live on less than US$1.25 per day (the international poverty line).
- The official motto of Uganda is ‘For God and My
- In Uganda you drive on the left hand side of the road.
- Southern Uganda has lots of rainfall all year round. While Northern Uganda also has plenty of rain every year, there is a dry season between November and February.
- Over 80% of workers are employed in the agricultural industry.
- Uganda’s largest export is coffee.
- There are large reserves of crude oil and natural gas in Uganda that are still mostly untapped.
- Soccer (football) is the
most popular sport in Uganda. However, cricket is becoming increasingly popular with the national side finishing runner-up in Division 3 of the World Cricket League in 2009.